My Fruitive Challenge: Day 22 — Extreme Ownership

 ChatGPT recommends reading the following books regarding leadership development in business and in life: 

“These books offer a mix of leadership principles, practical strategies for team cohesion, and insights into safety and efficiency that can help foster a strong working environment tailored to the needs of a blue-collar, service-oriented, and regulated industry.….

  1. “Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win” by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin - 
  2. “Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders” by L. David Marquet 
  3. “The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable” by Patrick Lencioni 
  4. “Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don’t” by Simon Sinek
  5. “The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right” by Atul Gawande
  6. “Safety at the Sharp End: A Guide to Non-Technical Skills” by Rhona Flin, Paul O’Connor, and Margaret Crichton 
  7. “Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us” by Daniel H. Pink 

I listened to number seven first. I liked it. It focuses a lot on the importance of intrinsic motivation because research shows that money, perks, and rewards are not enough. 

I just finished listening to Jocko’s Extreme Ownership. Wow! That’s a very good read. Lots to think through. I experimented with the concept of extreme ownership this week with my three daughters with impressive results. We were late for school yet again on Monday morning. I was very tempted to review how each kid contributed to the problem. Instead, I repeated the title of the book to myself  and reviewed all the ways I contributed to the problem before opening my mouth to speak:

“I am so sorry that I made us late this morning. I should have gone to bed earlier, woken up earlier, and gotten to car earlier than I did!”

To my surprise, all three girls chimed in their apologies for their role in the matter.

Wow! That was a special moment for me.

The next morning we left on time and made it to school on time.

I’ll need to practice this method a bit more.

Popular posts from this blog

My Fruitive Challenge Diet: Day One!

Shipt!