My Fruitive Challenge: Day 15 — Composting



 I set up a brand new compost bin tumbler. I’m looking forward to making my own fresh compost for the vegetable garden that Laura’s been working on. I also bought a kitchen countertop bin for food scraps to toss into my tumbler. I’m learning a lot:

  • Greens to Browns ratio of 1:3
    • Greens are fruit and vegetables that the microbes get to break down
    • Browns are dry leaves, straw, paper, and wood chips to keep the greens from becoming too wet and smelly 
  • Avocado shells and orange peels take longer to decompose, so blend them up first or just toss them in the regular waste bin
  • Banana peels are a rich source of nutrients for the soil but I should chop them up first so they decompose faster 
  • I should take care to wash fruit and veggies well if they come from the grocery store to minimize pesticides leaching into my compost 
  • I bought compost starter to add to each layer of scraps I put into the tumbler 
  • In a month or so my first batch will be ready!

Popular posts from this blog

My Fruitive Challenge Diet: Day One!

Shipt!