My AncestryDNA Result

My AncestryDNA results came in! Wow! It was pretty exciting pouring over the details last night. Fascinating to see that my ethnic heritage is quite multi-cultural, some of which I predicted based on what I had been told growing up, and some of it quite surprising:

35% Native American (Mexican/Peruvian roots, I presume)

22% Iberian Peninsula (My Old World Spanish/Portuguese roots)

18% Italian/Greek (La famiglia!)

12% Ireland (What? Irish? Haha! Didn't see that coming. Laura said she's going to buy me a "Luck of the Irish" T-shirt. Awesome.)

5% Middle Eastern (I would have guessed more than that for some reason.)

4% Northern and Southeastern African (Very cool!)

And the rest are trace results from various other parts of the globe.

I look forward to learning more about it as I talk to family members. I read on someone's blog that Ancestry.com "is very broad, but also very shallow, its accuracy limited to four generations, great-great-grandparents. This is because you get half your DNA from each parent, who each got half from their parents and so on, halving with each generation. As a result, the amount you share with any of your great-great-grandparents is just 6.25%."

I'm still unpacking what it all means. Meanwhile, I'm making plans to expand my culinary palate and introduce some new meals to our home based on the results. Perhaps I'll start with a celebratory Guinness...

Popular posts from this blog

My Fruitive Challenge Diet: Day One!

Shipt!