Pax Christi

At the Y while I'm lacing up my boots to go home, a young kid suddenly pops up and asks me a question: "Hi! Is there anything I can pray with you about?"

Wow. That's bold of him. Do I look like I need prayer? Probably. I just finished a trek on a recumbent bicycle and am not my best self.

What could he pray about? I'm not too good at pop quizzes. How about for world peace and against government corruption, global poverty, human trafficking, disease, famine...
No, too intense.

How about for healing of our national political divide and against social and economic exploitation born of pride, greed, fear, and hatred...
No, still too much. He's a tweenager. Be cool.

Stick to the personal, like for improved health and happiness and for my ambition to be a much better husband, father, teacher, neighbor, friend...

Or maybe that I make smarter life goals that keep me from overdosing on Thanksgiving food and guilt-tripping myself back to the Y on a Sunday night to justify paying the monthly gym fees...

I notice my wife down the hall gathering up our three little girls. We must head out soon into the cold, wet December night. I need to join them, so I politely say goodbye:

"I think I'm alright. Thanks for offering to pray for me, though. I really appreciate that."

I almost tell him that someday when he gets older and feels the full weight of responsible "adulting," I hope that he too will be greeted by a kid with a goofy grin and a prayer...

"That's OK," he says. "I just want to let you know that Jesus loves you!" With that final word, he disappears into the Y rec area to let loose for an hour before it closes.

Thanks, kid, for that.
That never happens.
You've brought shalom to my heart with your offer to pray for me today.

May I too take some time from my busy schedule this Advent season to offer sincere, selfless moments of faith, hope, and love to my neighbors.

Pax Christi sit semper vobiscum
May the peace of Christ be with you always.

Amen.

Popular posts from this blog

My Fruitive Challenge Diet: Day One!

Shipt!